Thursday, August 11, 2011

Bucephalus

Bucephalus, translated as "Oxhead", the warhorse of Alexander the Great, mentioned throughout history, literature, and even mentioned in the 1979 film "The Black Stallion", has deservedly earned the title of "Wondrous".  13 year old Alexander watched from a short distance the horse exhaust the grooms, for the steed was stressed.  In my novel, just before he mounts the untamed horse, Alexander says to his concerned father, King Philip, "...I will manage [Bucephalus], and prove to all who witness here I am greater than Bellerophon himself, and I mounted on the stallion will sweep through air swift as a gale of wind!” And so begins the strong bond between youth and horse, riding across the known world until Bucephalus died in the year 326BCE in the location what is now Jhelum, Pakistan, once upon a time called 'Bucephala'.
 

2 comments:

  1. I loved the video, and I loved your excerpt! Thats has to be one of my favorite parts in this book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too loved the vid. But the way you portrayed the charector of Alexander was beautiful! I too love horses! Bucephalus by far is the best ancient horse in the world!

    ReplyDelete